Pension schemes can be highly complex and therefore if something goes wrong, the impact can be wide spread. Whether you are an individual, employer, trustee or manager of a pension scheme, our expert team can advise you in respect of a variety of pension disputes which may arise.
We can advise on:
- Claims against pension scheme advisers
- Claims against trustees and employers
- Claims against solicitors
Some examples of what can go wrong with pensions:
- Advisers have failed to invest according to the client’s attitude to risk or failed to provide appropriate advice regarding high-risk investment products
- Advisers have recommended investment in unsuitable pensions and SIPPS
- The scheme has been incorrectly executed resulting in an inability to claim the tax relief intended
- Accidental overpayment of pension scheme funds
- An incorrect statement has been made which a member of the scheme has relied on to their detriment
- A mistake has been made in the scheme rules, which has resulted in an unintended payment
- An amendment to the scheme has been rendered invalid
Professional negligence court claims need to be issued within 6 years of the date that loss was caused. Very often with pensions the mistake which gives rise to a loss is not discovered until years after the error was made. Where the loss was not known about a claim can sometimes be made after the 6 year period if it is made within 3 years of knowledge of the loss. These rules on time limits can be very difficult to apply in practice though so if you are concerned that you may have a professional negligence claim then it is best to seek legal advice sooner rather than later.
- Several recent claims have been made against accountants who provided negligent advice to businesses on issues such as Employee Benefit Trusts, retirement relief and holdover relief.
- Claims on behalf of individuals against financial adviser for negligent advice relating to pension investments
- Various solicitors claims for missed limitation dates
- Acting for claimants in proceedings relating to contractual obligations for early retirement pension benefits.
- Advised executrix of estate in claim against deceased’s ex-financial adviser for negligent pension advice.
- Acted for an individual following negligent advice relating to pension investment.
- Advising in respect of claims against financial advisers for negligent investments within SIPPs, including Unregulated Collective Investment Schemes