Legal Guides

Guide to settlement agreements

Home / Knowledge base / Guide to settlement agreements

Posted by Tina Chander on 10 April 2014

Tina Chander - Head of Employment Law
Tina Chander Partner - Head of Employment Law

What is a settlement agreement?

settlement agreement is a legally binding agreement without the use of an Acas conciliator between an employer and an employee (or other parties to a statutory claim) which either settles the claim or refrains the employee from commencing a claim. 

What are the conditions for a valid settlement agreement?

  • The agreement must be in writing.
  • The agreement must relate to a particular complaint or particular proceedings.
  • The employee must have received independent legal advice from a relevant adviser on the terms and effect of the settlement agreement and its effect on the employee’s ability to pursue any rights before an employment tribunal.
  • The independent adviser must have a current contract of insurance, or professional indemnity insurance, covering the risk of a claim brought by an employee in respect of the advice given by the independent adviser.
  • The agreement must identify the adviser.
  • The agreement must state that the conditions relating to settlement agreements have been satisfied. 

Can all claims be settled by a settlement agreement?

No. Claims in respect of the failure to inform or consult or failure to pay the protective award under TUPE 2006 and claims for failing to inform and consult with appropriate representatives on collective redundancies under the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992 cannot be compromised by a settlement agreement. It is possible to compromise an employee’s right to bring a claim for failure to pay a protective award under the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.

Is a settlement agreement that signs away all of an employee’s tribunal rights enforceable?

No. The actual potential claim must be identified, for example unfair dismissal or a reference to the section of the Statute giving rise to the claim must be referred to. 

Can a settlement agreement cover claims in which the parties have no knowledge of?

Yes providing the claim is fully and clearly expressed. 

Can an employer insert a requirement that the employee repays the termination payment if the employee brings a claim?

Yes but a court could take the view that the clause was void as it could be deemed a penalty. 

How can a settlement agreement be enforced?

  • In the civil courts for breach of contract; or
  • in the employment tribunal as a contractual claim providing the settlement agreement was made before the termination of employment.

Before 29 July 2013 settlement agreements used to be called compromise agreements.

About the author

Tina Chander

Partner - Head of Employment Law

Tina is head of our employment law team. She deals with contentious and non-contentious employment law issues.

Tina Chander

Tina is head of our employment law team. She deals with contentious and non-contentious employment law issues.

Recent articles

30 July 2020 Rethinking the landlord / tenant relationship

We have been following the travails of the high street for over 12 months where changing shopping habits, business rates and rent increases have been contributing to a growing strain on many landlord / tenant relationships. The Covid-19 pandemic has not only turned a bad situation critical for many retailers and hospitality venues but has also turned the spotlight on the wider commercial sector too. Almost all businesses operating across the country have suffered financially to a greater or lesser extent as result of the economic downturn precipitated by the imposition of lockdown in March.

Read article
30 July 2020 Bankrupts fail in claim to have interests in land revested in them

The claim by Mr and Mrs Brake (Brake v Swift), heard in the High Court in May, to have a cottage and adjacent land revested in them under Section 283A of the Insolvency Act 1986, was set against a background of convoluted litigation extending over a number of years, described by Matthews HHJ as ‘complex’. The claimants had been made bankrupt in 2015 and the matter before the Court concentrated on whether or not the property concerned was, indeed, the claimants’ principal residence at the time of the bankruptcy.

Read article
29 July 2020 Remote witnessing of wills – a sign of the times

The law governing how a will is witnessed dates back to 1837 and for good reason. The requirement for two people (neither of whom can inherit from the will they are witnessing) to be physically present at the signing of a will is designed to, among other things, prevent fraud and the exercise of undue influence. That is, until the Covid-19 pandemic struck.

Read article
How can we help?
01926 732512