Iain has extensive experience in advising landowners on HS2 compensation claims. He has worked with a number of regional heavyweight law firms in the northwest and Midlands. He has provided strategic and practical planning and environmental advice to developers, national housebuilders, landowners, local authorities, education organisations, waste and mineral companies and the energy sector.
Iain set up an HS2 advisory service almost ten years ago. He is a specialist in high-speed rail (HS2) advising landowners and businesses affected by the infrastructure project providing strategic compulsory purchase advice and compensation.
- A number of successful compensation claims against HS2 and at the Upper Chamber (Lands Tribunal)
- High Speed Rail (HS2)
- Planning applications/planning appeals and call-ins.
- High Court challenges and judicial review.
- Drafting and negotiation of detailed S106 agreements and other infrastructure agreements.
- Community Infrastructure Levy.
- Environmental impact assessments and the Habitats Directive.
- Enforcement regime and enforcement appeals.
- Highways including road/footpath closure orders and diversions under the Highways Act 1980.
- Compulsory purchase and compensation – Lands tribunal and CPO inquiries.
- Transport and Works Act orders – acting for promoters and objectors.
- Contaminated land/water pollution/waste management.
- Environmental permitting and enforcement regime.
- Nationally Significant Infrastructure Projects including representations to the Planning Inspectorate.
- Village greens – acting for developers and landowners, including non-statutory inquiries.
- Acted for a landowner in a compensation claim against HS2 and the Secretary of State for Transport in the Upper Chamber (Lands Tribunal)2017. This was the first HS2 case to reach the Tribunal and it was successful resulting in a substantial claim for the landowner.
- Acting for a developer of a large urban expansion of Truro in Cornwall involving 1500 housing unit, a new school, including retail, employment and a new strategic highway.
- Acting for a leading Midlands university on a planning application covering a 10-year master plan involving detailed drafting and negotiation of an s106 Agreement.
- Acting for the port authority in Liverpool providing specialist planning and environmental advice on Nationally. Significant Infrastructure Projects and permitted development rights on the development of two bio-mass terminals in the port.
- Acting for a number of national housebuilders in the northwest and Midlands, including the drafting and negotiation of s106 Agreements.
- Acting for a commercial landowner severally affected by a Transport & Works Act Order on a development site to the south of Leeds Station.
- Acting for two companies / landowners with significant sites affected by HS2 at Euston Station, London and Piccadilly Station, Manchester.
- Acting for a leading North West University in securing the first university planning permission for a wind farm in the UK.
- Acting for an American company acquiring a titanium smelting plant in the UK involving detailed negotiations on environmental liabilities.
- Member of the Law Society Planning Panel
- Legal Associate of the RTPI
- Member of the Compulsory Purchase Association
- Member of UKELA (United Kingdom Environmental Lawyers Association)
Iain's interests include military history, walking and sailing.