Iain is an experienced intellectual property & technology lawyer, specialising in disputes over the ownership or misuse of intellectual property rights.
He has advised on product designs; branding and trade marks; copyright in software, training materials, photographs and music; inventions and patents; as well as confidential information and trade secrets.
Iain has experience in the technology sector, dealing with disputes over software ownership and licensing, website design, sponsored links and domain names for clients from mobile application developers to large outsourced service providers.
He has particular expertise in costs and funding litigation effectively. He also advises on competition law.
- Acted for various professional photographers in copyright infringement claims including Sheldon v Daybrook House Promotions Limited (see below)
- Advised on intellectual property issues in public sector outsourced technology project
- Acted in trade mark oppositions for clients ranging from software application developers to a rural business
- Advised on product branding issues for national DVD distributors and record companies
- Advised upon database issues arising from insolvency of major ‘cloud’ IT services provider
- Acted in High Court proceedings for groundless threats of trade mark infringement
- Advised on celebrity image/publicity rights infringement
- Advised various mobile game developers on copyright and trade mark issues
- Advised in registered design dispute concerning motor vehicle accessory
- Acted in High Court proceedings against international IT services business, settled after trial but before judgment
- Advised in entitlement dispute over biotech patent
- Advised sports national governing bodies on intellectual property and competition issues
- Advised construction companies involved in OFT decision on bid-rigging
- Warwickshire Oil Storage Limited v. WWOSLTD – a domain name dispute before the WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center which successfully resulted in a decision to transfer the domain name to our client (WIPO, Case No. D2016-1482)
- Atos IT Services UK Limited v Above.com Domain Privacy / Nish Patel – a domain name dispute which successfully resulted in a decision to transfer the domain name to our client (WIPO, 2013)
- Sheldon v Daybrook House Promotions Limited - preliminary issue concerning the assessment of reasonable licence fee for professional photograph of well-known musical celebrity (Patents County Court, 2013)
- Belfairs Management Limited v Sutherland & another – a dispute involving the performance of a software house under a major public sector IT contract (Chancery Division 2010)
- Meridian International Services Limited v Richardson & others - a dispute over copyright in financial forecasting software written for a division of GlaxoSmithKline (Chancery Division 2007, Court of Appeal 2008).
- Lighthousecarrwood Limited v Luckett - Chancery Division trial successfully struck out on 4th day of trial (2007).
- Apex Asphalt and Paving Co. Limited v Office of Fair Trading (Competition Appeal Tribunal, 2005).
Iain sat his law degree at Exeter University. He trained with Wright Hassall and qualified in 1999.
Iain's interests include gadgets, computers, family and faith - but not necessarily in that order!