Iain is an experienced dispute resolution lawyer, who specialises in disputes involving innovation and technology.
Iain’s focus is upon strategic dispute resolution and finding pragmatic solutions before a dispute turns into a problem or crisis, with particular emphasis on the following:
- Advanced manufacturing, technology & logistics
- Branding, trade marks and domain names
- Media & Entertainment
He advises a wide range of clients on the protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights, including copyright, data & databases, trade secrets and knowhow, product designs, patents, branding and domain names.
He also advises on technology disputes for suppliers and customers, including issues over software ownership and licensing, implementation projects, websites and sponsored links.
He has particular expertise in costs and funding litigation effectively. He also advises on competition law.
- Acted for various clients in claims against former employees for misuse of confidential information, copyright, database right and trade mark infringement
- Advised on resolution of data breach for media business
- Acted in domain name disputes before WIPO, for both complainants and respondents (see further below)
- Advised on the proposed termination of a merchandising licence agreement
- Acted for software house on alleged trade mark infringement & passing off following expiry of reseller agreement
- Advised technology spin out business in disputed collaboration relating to patented technology
- Acted for various professional photographers in copyright infringement claims including Sheldon v Daybrook House (see below)
- Advised charities including sports national governing bodies on intellectual property & competition issues
- Acted in trade mark oppositions for clients in sectors including technology, retail and automotive
- Acted in High Court proceedings for groundless threats of trade mark infringement
- Advised manufacturers on competition law issues on pricing
- Acting for those seeking urgent, emergency court orders (injunctions) and those resisting and responding to urgent court applications
- Andrews v Stanway & others – application to vary a freezing injunction (High Court, Queens Bench Division 2018)
- Various domain name disputes before the WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center including Fibrefab Limited v. Whoisguard, Inc. / Constantinos Shiakallis (2017), Warwickshire OilStorage Limited v. WWOSLTD (2016), Atos IT Services UK Limited v Above.com Domain Privacy / Nish Patel (2013)
- Sheldon v Daybrook House Promotions Limited - preliminary issue concerning the assessment of reasonable licence fee for professional photograph of well-known musical celebrity (Patents County Court 2013, now the Intellectual Property Enterprise Court)
- Belfairs Management Limited v Sutherland & another – a dispute involving the performance of a software house under a major public sector IT contract (High Court, Chancery Division 2010)
- Meridian International Services Limited v Richardson & others - a dispute over copyright in financial forecasting software written for a division of GlaxoSmithKline (High Court, ChanceryDivision 2007 and Court of Appeal 2008)
- Lighthousecarrwood Limited v Luckett - trial successfully struck out on 4th day of trial (High Court, Chancery Division 2007)
- Apex Asphalt and Paving Co. Limited v Office of Fair Trading (Competition Appeal Tribunal 2005).
Iain sat his law degree at Exeter University. He trained with Wright Hassall and qualified in 1999.
Iain's interests include playing touch rugby but watching full contact rugby, as well as running around after his children and helping at a dads & children’s group (Who Let the Dads Out).