John is a specialist planning lawyer with extensive experience of advising on all aspects of the planning and highways regime, including the local plan process and community infrastructure levy, strategic advice on planning applications and appeals, judicial review and statutory challenges, enforcement and certificates of lawful use. He has significant experience in drafting and negotiating complex section 106 agreements.
John has particular expertise in working with local planning authorities and spent several years leading the planning team at Warwickshire County Council Legal Services, where he acted as legal adviser to the County and District Council’s planning departments and committees.
- Advised a Local Planning Authority in respect of the implementation of its Local Plan and Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL).
- Advised on a complex Section 106 Agreement in relation to a major mixed housing and stadium development.
- Advised landowners on a Section 106 Agreement relating to a major housing development.
- Successfully represented a Local Planning Authority at a Public Inquiry in relation to the grant of a Certificate of Lawfulness.
- Acted for a Local Planning Authority in obtaining planning injunctions preventing unauthorised encampments.
- Advised on the HS2 petitioning and planning consents regime.
John previously worked for Warwickshire County Council Legal Services
Outside work, John enjoys sport and recently completed the London Marathon. He also enjoys spending time with his young family.