Nick specialises in non-contentious commercial property focusing particularly on development acquisitions and disposals, funding and commercial landlord and tenant.
In his role as Chairman, Nick ensures that everyone at Wright Hassall delivers on the promises which they make to their clients, whether that is a new client or one that the firm has acted for over a number of years. He is client partner for a number of important clients as well as independent client partner for others.
Wright Hassall LLP’s work is ‘on a par with the big London firms’... The ‘commercially astute’ Nick Abell heads the team
- Acted for TUI Travel in the acquisition of its headquarter offices in Coventry including negotiating and agreeing site acquisition, planning, development, leasehold and funding issues.
- Although the matter proved abortive, represented a developer in connection with the proposed redevelopment of a premiership football club. The deal reached a very advanced stage and involved complicated problems in connection with title, planning and infrastructure provision.
- Advised on at least half of all of the development and disposals of properties on the Tachbrook Park development, a large commercial estate outside Leamington Spa.
Nick was articled at Wright Hassall. He qualified in 1982 and spent 4 years with a leading property firm Nabarro Nathanson before being "lured" back to WH in 1986 to create and head a dedicated commercial property team. Nick was made a partner in 1988 and became the firm's senior partner in 2009.
- Vice Chair of the Coventry & Warwickshire LEP
- Trustee of Shakespeare Birthplace Trust
Nick lives just outside Stratford on Avon and is married with two children. He is a keen (but semi-retired) cricketer, but has a passion for all sports (especially golf). His other big interest is fine wine and could never understand why he ended up as a solicitor rather than joining his late father in the family wine business. Nick also speaks French.