Patrick is a newly-qualified solicitor in the commercial team who helps clients with their commercial contracts in both a business-to-business and business-to-consumer context.
He enjoys working with a wide variety of clients, which range from start-ups and sole traders, SMEs, regional and national businesses right the way through to internationally-listed companies.
Patrick has drafted and advised on a vast array of commercial contracts from both the supplier and the customer perspective, including:
- Supply of goods and supply of services agreements.
- Terms and conditions for the supply of goods and/or services.
- Software development agreements.
- Software as a service terms and conditions.
- Website terms and conditions and other documentation.
- Data processing agreements.
- Agency and distribution agreements.
- Worked on secondment for 18 months at an international telecommunications service provider, helping draft and negotiate the contractual terms governing the exit and renegotiation of a major public sector outsourcing contract.
- Reviewed and advised on a major outsourcing contract for a leading IT service provider.
- Advised a local retail company on the ways in which 2018 data protection legislation prohibited their ability to share data with other organisations outside the EEA and proposing practical solutions whereby they could share data abroad and comply with all applicable legislation.
- Experience negotiating data processing agreements and contract variations as a result of the GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018, both for customers and suppliers.
- Advised an R&D company on the important issues to consider when seeking to exploit a new invention or concept commercially.
- Drafted, negotiated and advised on an agile app development agreement for a local software developer whose end customer was Ann Summers, including advising on how to deal with the ownership of intellectual property within the app.
- Worked with a regional swimming lessons provider to produce a bespoke set of online consumer terms and conditions which they could use when contracting to provide swimming lessons to individuals, as well as advising them of the various requirements of UK legislation.
The team has advised on a broad range of major outsourcing and technology contracts, and recently advised a leading supplier on a complex multi-vendor global outsourcing deal.
Patrick achieved a 2:1 in Law at the University of Birmingham before completing the Legal Practice Course with a distinction. He has worked at Wright Hassall since 2012, first as a Paralegal and then as a Trainee Solicitor, gaining over three years of experience in the commercial team in the process.
Patrick is on the Committee of the Warwickshire Junior Lawyers Division and has helped establish a Mentoring Scheme between law students at Coventry University and junior lawyers from the Warwickshire region.
Patrick is a keen sports enthusiast who enjoys running and playing five a side football on a regular basis as well as following the travails of his beloved Yorkshire County Cricket Club whenever the weather permits.
He is also a keen traveller and reader, attending Leamington’s Feminist Book Club on a monthly basis.