Peter is head of the private client team and specialises in family and divorce law including ancillary financial issues and matters relating to children.
Peter is a trained mediator and an accredited specialist with Resolution (Solicitors Family Law Association). He is known for his practical and conciliatory approach and his ability to seek mutually acceptable solutions to family and divorce issues.
He specialises in farming cases, acting for both husbands and wives in assessing complex property assets, taking into account inherited funds and negotiating settlements both at court and round the table meetings.
- Acted on a divorce case which involved agricultural land assets, generational and business assets. The freehold of the farm land has been retained by the family since 1500.
- Acted on behalf of a 7 year old child in the reported case of re- C, a case that framed the definition of a statutory orphan.
- Has undertaken many complex child cases involving serious injury, sexual abuse and neglect.
- Acted in a case to set aside an order made 12 years ago on the basis of a material nondisclosure. Aspects of the case went to the Court of Appeal.
- Advised on a pre-nuptial agreement in respect of a complex and substantial settlement.
Having completed his law degree at Liverpool University, Peter trained at Booth & Co, Leeds. Before joining Wright Hassall in 2003, he was a partner at Langleys, York and latterly with Kirbys in Harrogate.
- Resolution (formerly known as Solicitors Family Law Association)
Peter is focused on his family, junior football, rugby league and fishing.