Richard is our Senior Partner and the firm's Compliance Officer for Legal Practice (COLP). He is responsible for ensuring that we have systems and controls in place to enable compliance with regulatory requirements.
Richard has been involved in many types of case for various claimants including acting for a wide variety of businesses, individuals and sports bodies. He specialises in commercial litigation, professional negligence and sports regulation and discipline. Richard has acted for clients in a range of disputes in this area and is known for his commercial approach and ability to find solutions.
An expert sports lawyer, Richard advises NGBs in relation to competitor discipline and disciplinary proceedings and sporting regulation including child protection and doping issues.
Richard has been appointed as a member of the England Netball Disciplinary panel and he is also a member of The British Equestrian Federation National Equine Anti-Doping and Controlled Medication Hearing Body Panel.
- Acted on Midland Packaging Ltd v Haines Watts, a High Court and Court of Appeal case in respect of a claim against accountants relating to negligent tax advice.
- Acted on Harrison v Swindell , a solicitors fiduciary duty case
- Acted for the BEF and British Showjumping in an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport relating to the decision of the FEI to relegate the Great Britain Show Jumping Team from the Top League of the Nations Cup. The appeal was successful, Court of Arbitration for Sport. BEF -v- FEI.
- Acted for the British Equestrian Federation (BEF) and Mr Brockman in International Paralympic Committee -v- World Anti-Doping Agency & Brockman. The case was decided in favour of Mr Brockman.
- Acted on several cases before the Sports Resolutions panel acting for National Governing Bodies.
- Advised sports governing bodies on disciplinary and regulatory issues, including breaches of competition rules, child protection issues and misuse of drugs by competitors.
- Acted on British Showjumping v Whitaker.
- Acted on British Dressage v Davison.
Richard joined Wright Hassall in 1990. He was made partner in 1992 and in 2009 became managing partner.
- Trustee of the Stratford Town Trust
- Member of the England Netball Disciplinary Panel
- Member of The British Equestrian Federation National Equine Anti-Doping and Controlled Medication Hearing Body Panel
Richard enjoys golf, scuba diving, sailing, choral singing and music.