Specialist real estate lawyer with over 25 years’ experience in all aspects of high value and complex commercial and residential development matters, acting for landowners and developers acquiring, developing and disposing of residential and commercial estates.
Particular experience advising on complex land assembly matters, options and promotion agreements including acting for landowners, investors, developers and tenants, charities, family trusts, registered social housing providers and the Church of England.
- Acting for a registered provider in its purchase by way of sub sale, of a development site for a mixture of 80+ open market and affordable houses) for a total value of £18M but with multiple legal and commercial complexities in relation to governance/structure aspects; SDLT and VAT mitigation; detailed reciprocal easements and securing the consent of Network Rail.
- Acting for a different registered provider in its purchase following a successful tender process of a development site for a mixture of 200+ open market and affordable houses. Total land price in excess of £10m. Involving complex third party interests and overage provisions
- Acting for a charity landowner in granting an option to a national housebuilder for the development of a new edge of town settlement involving the relocation of sports pitches and HS2 mitigation measures. Also involving complex issues regarding land registration and Charity Commission consent.
- Acting for a family trust landowner on a joint venture with a specialist developer promoting a high-end “Grand Designs” type of self-build development.
- Acting for a group of landowners involved in a consortium of multiple other landowners collectively assembling a site for joint venture of national house builders.
- Acting for a Charity for the homeless in a Development Agreement for the refurbishment of a former city centre office site as hostel accommodation.
- Acting for a registered provider in connection with a complex restructuring of mutual easements at a development site relating to foul / surface water drainage solutions and access where the original arrangements did not protect the various phasing requirements of three separate landowners and another developer with interests in the rest of the site.
- Numerous s106 purchases for registered providers.
- Acting for a charity in connection with a deed of release to protect its long term potential interest in a complicated overage/uplift contract.
July 2018 to Date
Legal Director, Wright Hassall
Sept 2016 – July 2018
Consultant Solicitor, Wright Hassall
April 2012 – July 2018
Consultant Solicitor, Excello Law, London
Jan 2014 – April 2016
Part time Consultant Solicitor, Gowling WLG (Formerly
Wragge Lawrence Graham & Co LLP, Wragge &Co)
October 2005 – April 2012
Partner Stallard March & Edwards LLP, Worcester
Deputy Registrar – Diocese of Worcester (2009)
Solicitor to Worcester Cathedral (2008)
October 2003 – October 2005
Solicitor, The Law Society - Leamington Spa.
August 2001 – May 2003
Partner, Harrison Clark, Worcester
September 1990 – August 2001:
Trainee and Solicitor; Wragge & Co, Birmingham
The Law Society
Sport and Travel