Stuart specialises in construction and engineering work in relation to resolving disputes and in the drafting and negotiation of contractual documentation.
He advises on both contentious and non-contentious matters and has advised on many of the domestic standard forms of contract, with particular emphasis on JCT documentation. He has acted for a wide range of clients including international main contractors, central government departments, sub-contractors, funders, developers and professionals and their professional indemnity insurers.
Stuart has resolved disputes through adjudication, in the Technology and Construction Court, in arbitration, and through alternative dispute resolution procedures such as mediation and early neutral evaluation. Stuart also has particular experience in managing risk and resolving disputes in PFI/PPP projects.
Stuart gives regular talks on topics of interest to the construction and engineering sector, as well as being a regular author of articles on the subject.
- Acted for Harrabin Construction in a dispute with the developer of the medical centre, pursuing the matter to adjudication and then seeking to enforce the adjudication through the courts.
- Advised Oliveti and its consortium members on a successful multi-million pound bid for building work framework for Leicester City Council and the Leicester Building Contracts Framework.
- Acted for Amber Valley in relation to potential proceedings against them by the HSE, relating to allegations of asbestos pollution.
Stuart joined Wright Hassall in November 2008 from City firm Nabarro LLP.
- Forum for the Built Environment (Fbe)
- Forum for Constructing Excellence (FORCE)
- Social Housing Law Association (SHLA)
Stuart enjoys mountain biking, scuba diving and music.