Carol's specialism is in property related matters and large portfolio transactions such as funding and securitisation, stock transfers, stock rationalisation, governance, as well as all social housing sector specific advice.
Carol’s experience in Large Scale Voluntary Transfers (LSVTs) has given her a holistic approach to her work. She has influenced housing policy working with the National Housing Federation (NHF), Carol is also a public speaker, delivering regular seminars and is well known for her innovative approach to charging and stock transfers.
"Carol Matthews is a "leader in the field" who "lives and breathes social housing," according to sources. Peers are quick to add that she is "an absolute star in the funding area."
- Having pioneered the S133 repeal with the Government Carol is now working with RPs to uplift LSVT valuations having agreed the methodology to achieve this;
- Drafted the documentation used in the sector for the VAT Shelters in LSVTs;
- Acted in the security work for the Bond issues for the Longhurst, WM and Grand Union Housing Groups all completed in tight timescales using a methodology suggested by Carol, now market standard;
- Setting up Security Trustee arrangements for Two Rivers Housing and Johnnie Johnson Housing Association;
- Developed a title “Tidee” system for RPs, working alongside Stanfords, to give RPs an asset register following a full due diligence exercise linked in with title and development information and a web based link to geographical information. Used by the Longhurst Group, Severnside Housing, Monmouthshire Housing and many others.
"Carol Matthews is 'helpful and tenacious' and has led over 50 LSVTs in a strong career."
Carol graduated from Warwick University with a history degree and qualified as a solicitor in 1980.
When not busy with her family, Carol enjoys the theatre, house restoration and literature.