Iain has extensive experience in advising landowners on HS2 compensation claims. He has provided strategic and practical planning and environmental advice to developers, national housebuilders, landowners, local authorities, education organisations, waste and mineral companies and the energy sector.
Iain set up an HS2 advisory service almost ten years ago. He is a specialist in high-speed rail (HS2) advising landowners and businesses affected by the infrastructure project providing strategic compulsory purchase advice and compensation.
"... highly active advising landowners and businesses on compulsory purchase issues arising from the High Speed Rail scheme."
- A number of successful compensation claims against HS2 and at the Upper Chamber (Lands Tribunal)
- High Speed Rail (HS2)
- Planning applications/planning appeals and call-ins.
- High Court challenges and judicial review.
- Drafting and negotiation of detailed S106 agreements and other infrastructure agreements.
- Community Infrastructure Levy.
- Environmental impact assessments and the Habitats Directive.
- Enforcement regime and enforcement appeals.
- Highways including road/footpath closure orders and diversions under the Highways Act 1980.
- Compulsory purchase and compensation – Lands tribunal and CPO inquiries.
- Transport and Works Act orders – acting for promoters and objectors.
- Contaminated land/water pollution/waste management.
- Environmental permitting and enforcement regime.
- Nationally Significant Infrastructure Projects including representations to the Planning Inspectorate.
- Village greens – acting for developers and landowners, including non-statutory inquiries.
"A first-class agricultural team"
Iain has worked with a number of regional heavyweight law firms in the northwest and Midlands.
- Member of the Law Society Planning Panel
- Legal Associate of the RTPI
- Member of the Compulsory Purchase Association
- Member of UKELA (United Kingdom Environmental Lawyers Association)
Iain's interests include military history, walking and sailing.