James specialises in residential development and strategic land acquisition, including:
- conditional contracts
- golden brick contracts
- fixed and variable price contracts
- option agreements
- promotion agreements
- development agreements
- overage agreements
- development site set-ups
James also advises on general commercial property matters, including:
- leasehold transactions such as new leases, subleases and assignment of leases for both landlords and tenants
- acquisitions and disposals of commercial and mixed use property, including retail, office, leisure and industrial properties
"James has dealt with all our requirements with exceptional professionalism and knowledge."
James works with clients to provide practical and cost effective legal advice, often working to tight deadlines. Alongside this, James works with clients to understand their business and commercial objectives, so that he is to provide a more personal, focussed service. His experience includes:
- Advising various registered providers of affordable housing on the purchase of Section 106 housing units
- advising a regional developer on the property elements of an investment deal with the Housing Growing Partnership
- acting for a national commercial developer on the site set-up and disposal of multiple units on a new build industrial estate
- advising an academy school on the grant of an easement over school land to support a neighbouring residential development
- advising on the sale of a development site subject to overage linked to the number of student accommodation units built on the development
- acting for a historic aircraft restoration company on a lease of hangar and workshop space
"large enough to provide a comprehensive range of legal services while maintaining strong client relationships at partner level."
James graduated from Staffordshire University in July 2013 after studying Law, before going on to complete the Legal Practice Course at the University of Law in Birmingham in June 2014. He joined Band Hatton Button LLP in Coventry in July 2014, qualifying as a Solicitor in January 2017. A highlight of his training was being named Warwickshire Junior Lawyers Division Trainee Solicitor of the year in 2016. James joined Wright Hassall in May 2019.
Current chair of the Coventry & Warwickshire First Young Professionals leadership team
In his spare time, James enjoys running, travelling and spending time with family and friends. James has participated in several charity fundraising events, including the Birmingham half marathon, the Wolf Run and walking over hot coals.
As the current chair of the Coventry & Warwickshire First Young Professionals leadership team, James works alongside the leadership team to organise and promote networking events for young professionals in Coventry and Warwickshire.