"Jennie was described as “outstanding” in the context of property tax advice and is rated as a next generation lawyer."
- Property tax advice (SDLT, VAT, CIS and corporation tax) to a financial services company moving into new London offices and receiving a large “landlord contribution” to the build costs. The advice included the risk of the client underwriting the substantial VAT element of the developer’s build cost.
- Property tax advice (SDLT, VAT) to a local authority on its purchase of a shopping centre with some residential elements. The advice included a complicated TOGC analysis.
- Advice on SDLT-efficient structures to a national infrastructure/support services group, in connection with a number of site acquisitions and expansions, focussing on surrender/regrant transactions and sub-sale relief. The advice centred on preserving the benefit of tax reliefs for the client.
- Property tax advice (VAT, SDLT, CIS, corporation tax) to the property investment subsidiaries of a large registered charity, on their sale of a portfolio of long leasehold business centres subject to occupational leases.
- SDLT advice to a national registered charity on the redevelopment of one of its prime UK property assets to include a £15m new mixed-use building and 140 new homes. The advice focussed on the application of the SDLT “land exchange” rules.
- Property tax advice to a national sandwich shop chain on matters concerning its occupational leases.
- SDLT advice in connection with re-gearing leasehold interests prior to the sale of a luxury residential freehold property for around £6m;
- Property tax advice (CGT, SDLT, capital allowances) to a large privately-owned property investment partnership on the tax-efficient restructuring of its ownership arrangements, where the main investment asset had a market value of around £9.5m;
- VAT and CIS advice to a sole trader on the redevelopment of existing commercial buildings into residential flats;
- SDLT advice to a residential property development partnership on the withdrawal of some of the partners from the business, focussing on the application of the SDLT partnership rules;
- Property tax advice to an occupational tenant entering into commercial leases on the taxation of inducement payments to enter into a new lease and to surrender existing leasehold interests;
- SDLT advice on the application of the SDLT residential/commercial rates on the purchase of a number of dwellings, focussing on the 6-pack rule and multiple dwellings relief;
- SDLT advice to residential developer on the targeted SDLT exemptions for developers acquiring property from deceased estates.
- SDLT advice to the UK business units of an international building materials supplier, on an SAO-driven SDLT compliance initiative to review and reconcile over 200 commercial property transactions which had not been correctly returned for SDLT. As a result of the advice, interest and penalties were minimised, and the client recovered thousands of pounds worth of overpaid SDLT.
"City firm service, but from a regional firm - local, personable and cost-effective"
Jennie trained and qualified with Eversheds and then moved to another national law firm, Pinsent Masons, where she advised on general corporate and business tax matters, later developing a specialism in property tax advice. She then joined highly-rated boutique tax practice Parisi Tax in 2012 before moving to Wright Hassall in 2019.
Member of the Stamp Taxes Practitioners Group
Jennie has presented various property tax training sessions to colleagues and clients, and has also presented to R.I.C.S. members as part of their continuing professional development programme.
Jennie enjoys cycling and walking, baking cakes, and looking after the family’s pet chickens.