"A specialist partner on the farming side. He's very experienced, and he's also very pragmatic."
Particular work highlights for Joel have been:
- Restructuring a farm partnership on 3,500 acres in East Midlands.
- Advising a partner on his retirement from the family farming business worth circa £40m.
- Acting for a tenant on the sale on the open market of an Agricultural Holdings Act 1986 tenancy, with an associated Case D notice to remedy arbitration. The tenant successfully defeated the landlord’s notice and the landlord was ordered to pay 85% of the tenant’s costs.
- Acting for a bank taking security over a diversified estate in Cornwall which had a complicated time share arrangement in respect of holiday cottages.
- Advising a well known shooting estate on restructuring their shooting rights in order to take advantage of Business Property relief for Inheritance tax which would have the result of saving circa £400,000 of tax on death.
"A first-class agricultural team"
After completing his MSc in Chemistry at the University of Bristol, Joel undertook the Post Graduate Diploma in Law and LPC at the University of the West of England. He trained with a commercial firm in Bristol and moved to the agriculture team at Burges Salmon on qualification. After 6 years at Burges Salmon he was head hunted in 2011 to lead and rejuvenate the agriculture team at Foot Anstey, a law firm with offices across the South West Peninsular. He joined the Wright Hassall team in 2018.
NARA: The Association of Property and Fixed Charge Receivers
Outside work Joel is a keen cyclist, regularly taking part in Sportives, including the Dartmoor Classic, a long-distance ride across Dartmoor in Devon.