John is a specialist planning lawyer with extensive experience of advising on all aspects of the planning and highways regime.
His significant experience of working with local authorities and his wider public sector expertise enables him to provide pragmatic and commercially focussed advice to clients from both the private and public sectors.
“…sensible, helpful and grounded”
John's expertise includes the local plan process; acting as legal adviser at planning committees; certificates of lawfulness; judicial reviews; and appeals. He has significant experience of drafting and negotiating complex section 106 agreements.
John previously led the planning legal team at Warwickshire County Council, where he also acted as legal adviser to Warwick District Council, Warwickshire Police and the Highway Authority.
Since moving into private practice, John has continued to advise local planning authorities, as well as landowners, investors, promotors and developers. He regularly provides specialist advice to housing associations.
- Advising a local planning authority on the implementation of its local plan and community infrastructure levy.
- Acting as legal adviser to a planning committee and providing training to committee members.
- Advising on a complex section 106 agreement in relation to a major mixed use residential and stadium development.
- Advising multiple landowners on a section 106 agreement for a 2000 dwelling development.
- Obtaining a certificate of lawfulness for commercial open storage in an AONB.
- Acting for an LPA in the successful defence of judicial review proceedings in the court of appeal.
- Acting for a developer in a judicial review challenge against the grant of planning permission for a student accommodation block.
- Acting for a developer in an appeal against the refusal of planning permission for residential development.
"Attention to detail; client focused; good communication; understanding of the client’s business, goals and objectives"
After completing his legal studies in Birmingham, John qualified with a local authority in 2007.
He subsequently led the Planning & Litigation Legal Team at Warwickshire County Council until 2017, when he moved to Wright Hassall as Head of Planning.
Outside work, John enjoys sport and completed the London Marathon in 2018. He also enjoys spending time with his young family, who keep him fully occupied.