I am so grateful to you for all you have done for me and my family. I am truly in your debt. This has taken so much pressure off of me. I thank you for your continual sound advice and for your direction. You are a true gentleman and a brilliant lawyer.
- Advised executrix of estate in claim against deceased’s ex-financial adviser for negligent pension advice.
- Acted for an individual following negligent advice relating to pension investment.
- Advised client in a claim against financial adviser for negligent investments within his SIPP, including Unregulated Collective Investment Schemes.
- Acted for a number of individuals and companies in relation to SDLT (Stamp Duty Land Tax) avoidance schemes including negotiating with HMRC and resolving professional negligence claims against previous advisers.
- Successfully defended a summary judgment application brought by HMRC against our client – resulting in preferable settlement terms being agreed.
- Acted for a company in relation to a mis-sold GSOP (Growth Securities Ownership Plan) tax scheme, including resolving a several hundred thousand pound demand from HMRC.
- Assisted High Net Worth Individual in claim against financial adviser for significant tax payments arising as a result of failed Enterprise Zone Syndicate schemes.
- Acted for clients in relation to claims arising from use of various Future Capital Partners schemes, including various Film Fund schemes and more recently the Elysian Fuels schemes.
- Commenced proceedings in the First Tier Tax Tribunal against HMRC for unreasonable refusal to allow a late appeal of an internal review. Resulted in preferential settlement terms.
- Acted for numerous limited companies and directors for claims against previous accountants for negligently advising use of an EBT / EFRB (Employee Benefit Trust / Employer Financed Retirement Benefit Scheme) tax planning. Cases have alsu included the use of a Non-Resident Trusts and cross-border property transactions.
- Acted for limited company and director against accountant for negligent use of an income tax avoidance scheme known as a Class E Share Scheme.
- Advised client in relation to HMRC enquiry and claim against previous accountant following the failed use of a Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme.
- Acted for husband and wife in sizeable breach of contract claim against lender following the lenders failure to obtain the right valuation report. Matter went to trial in the Technology and Construction Court resulting in £300,000 damages and costs award to our client (Moore and Hegelund -v- National Westminster Bank UK Plc).
- Acted for two LLPs in a claim for damages for breach of numerous duties by a previous member of the LLP, including elements of fraud and deceit.
"Matt was easy to work with; he has a very good understanding of the particular type of professional indemnity claim and can clearly communicate his thoughts whilst readily accepting questions and feedback. I feel fortunate to have engaged Wright Hassall who were professional throughout, mindful to minimising my cost and ultimately successful in the action taken’"
Matthew read law with German law and German language at the University of Surrey, and obtained a distinction in his Legal Practice Course at Kaplan Law School in London. Matthew trained at WH and joined the commercial litigation team in 2014.
Matthew enjoys golf and football as his main sports, and is a keen triathlete. Outside of the sporting arena, Matthew can be found treading the boards in any and all aspects of theatre, and leading the tenor section in a local jazz choir.