Paul advises employer/developer clients, contractors, sub-contractors and consultants and finds that acting for all kinds of entities gives him a thorough knowledge of the arguments and tactics used which helps to resolve matters efficiently and quickly.
He helps clients at any stage of a project, giving informal ‘behind the scenes’ advice, assisting in negotiations, mediation and other forms of Alternative Dispute Resolution through to formal adjudication, arbitration proceedings and proceedings in the Technology and Construction Court.
Paul is responsive and commercial, always working with a client’s specific objectives in mind rather than having a formulaic approach to claims. He understands the importance of the project detail as it is this that often determines the legal avenues pursued, and even the eventual outcome.
He has advised across a wide range of projects from individual domestic projects to multi-million pound disputes in the housing, hotel, retail, education, health warehousing, rail, infrastructure, oil and gas industries.
He has acted for homeowners, developers, landlords, tenants, health trusts, universities, public bodies, oil and gas companies, designers, quantity surveyors, project managers, groundworkers, civil engineers, main contractors, sub-contractors, tunnelling companies, plant hire companies, fabricators, manufacturers and scaffold companies.
"Extremely capable, responsive and hardworking."
- Acted in High Court multi-party litigation for a design and build main contractor facing claims from the landlord and tenant in relation to allegations of a defective floor in a major manufacturer’s warehousing and distribution centre.
- Acted for a number of contractor and sub-contractor clients in relation to interim and final account payment disputes through negotiation, adjudication and High Court enforcement proceedings.
- Advised a leading UK university in relation to quality and delay issues on a flagship building.
- Acted for the design and build contractor of a prestigious London hotel regarding allegations of defective design and workmanship, including in relation to the mechanical and electrical installations.
- Advised a leading oil and gas company in relation to delay claims for the construction of a sub-sea pipeline.
- Acted for a regional transport authority in relation to design issues in delivering enhancements to a city centre transport network.
- Defended architects and surveyors from negligence claims brought by their employers and advised employer clients on claims against their professional teams.
- Advised in relation to disputes involving offshore oil and gas installations (including an FPSO) and onshore processing plants.
- Advised a contractor in relation to a dispute over payment concerning a major city centre power infrastructure contract.
"Wright Hassall provides an excellent, efficient and timely service to clients from initial review of strengths and weaknesses of the case right through to dispute resolution procedures."
Paul joined Wright Hassall from Mills and Reeve where he was a principal associate. Previously he worked for Wragge and Co LLP as a solicitor specialising in technology and construction.
Paul is a member of the Society of Construction Law and is a regular attendee at meetings of the Forum for the Built Environment.
Paul is a a keen cyclist and something of a ‘petrolhead’ with a particular passion for sports car and endurance racing