Richard has been involved in many types of case for various claimants including acting for a wide variety of businesses, individuals and sports bodies. He specialises in sports regulation and discipline, commercial litigation and professional negligence.Richard has acted for clients in a range of disputes in this area and is known for his commercial approach and ability to find solutions.
An expert sports lawyer, Richard advises NGBs in relation to competitor discipline and disciplinary proceedings and sporting regulation including child protection and doping issues.
Richard has been appointed as a member of the England Netball Disciplinary panel and he is also a member of The British Equestrian Federation National Equine Anti-Doping and Controlled Medication Hearing Body Panel.
"Clients praise Richard Lane as "a winner" who "uses and co-ordinates his team skilfully and ensures we enjoy carefully considered advice."
- Acted for the BEF and British Showjumping in an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport relating to the decision of the FEI to relegate the Great Britain Show Jumping Team from the Top League of the Nations Cup. The appeal was successful, Court of Arbitration for Sport. BEF -v- FEI.
- Acted for the British Equestrian Federation (BEF) and Mr Brockman in International Paralympic Committee -v- World Anti-Doping Agency & Brockman. The case was decided in favour of Mr Brockman.
- Advised sports governing bodies on disciplinary and regulatory issues, including breaches of competition rules, child protection issues and misuse of drugs by competitors.
- Acted on British Showjumping v Whitaker.
- Acted on British Dressage v Davison.
- Acted on Midland Packaging Ltd v Haines Watts, a High Court and Court of Appeal case in respect of a claim against accountants relating to negligent tax advice.
- Acted on Harrison v Swindell , a solicitors fiduciary duty case
"Richard Lane "brings a confidence and competence that gives you the feeling he is on top of the job." Sources add: "He's excellent with clients, very user-friendly, able and modest."
Richard joined Wright Hassall in 1990 and was made partner in 1992.
- Trustee of the Stratford Town Trust
- Member of the England Netball Disciplinary Panel
- Member of The British Equestrian Federation National Equine Anti-Doping and Controlled Medication Hearing Body Panel
Richard enjoys sailing, choral singing, golf, scuba diving and being with his family.