Many people comment on the Wright Hassall name, asking whether it is a gimmick. But it isn't; Wright Hassall is formed from our heritage - and we are proud to have been supporting individuals and businesses in Warwickshire for over 175 years.
Leamington Spa grew considerably at the start of the 19th century. Standing on the town's sixth saline well, the Royal Pump Rooms, designed and built by CS Smith, first opened to the public in July 1814. The building was extended soon after opening to cope with demand and was not fully complete until 1816. New Town was developed as Leamington began to expand north from the river in response to the demand created by visitors to the Spa.
Richard Arthur Wallington, 1846
In 1846 the sole practice of Richard Arthur Wallington was founded in Wellington Street (now Regent Street). Taking advantage of the new opportunities that had arisen from Leamington's growth, a new partner Mr Edward Wright was taken on in 1855 forming Wallington & Wright.
Wright & Hassall, 1875
After the death of Richard Wallington, Edward Wright took James Wright Hassall (no relation) into partnership which was then renamed Wright and Hassall in 1875.
During the latter half of the 19th century, Leamington prospered and the town saw a number of developments including the opening of the Warwick & Leamington Tramway (which remained open until 1930), the opening of the Town Hall in 1884 and public swimming baths added to The Royal Pump Rooms.
Into the 20th Century
Historically the firm has benefited from its position in the midst of prime agricultural land. In the 1950s, the firm formed a syndicate with a local agent, John Staite, to buy most of the land being sold by the Earl of Warwick with the purpose of selling farms & properties to their tenants. Our connections with the land remain as strong as ever.
In 1968, the firm was based in Dormer Place in a Regency building opposite the Pump Room Gardens. The firm had three partners, two assistant solicitors and about six other fee earners with additional support staff numbering about 20 in all.
Embracing the technological age, 1977
In 1970, the firm moved to 9 Clarendon Place and, still not quite large enough to occupy the whole building, let out the top two floors to other businesses. There were, of course, no word processors or computers, and only the partners’ secretaries had electric typewriters. It was not until about 1977 that the firm bought its first word processor which, apparently, was the size of an upright piano!
Lexcel and IIP accreditation, 2003
In 2003, we were awarded the double accolade of both Lexcel and IIP, an achievement in which only a handful of firms have succeeded.
Move to Olympus House, 2007
After several moves within the town centre, the firm moved to a landmark modern building on the outskirts of Leamington Spa, approximately two miles from Junction 13 of the M40.
The modern firm now has around 40 partners and 230 staff. The last fifteen years has seen rapid and substantial growth with a number of niche areas being added to the business, including a new debt recovery business, Quantum Debt Recovery, a wholly owned subsidiary of Wright Hassall LLP.
Recognised in The British Legal Awards, 2012
Wright Hassall was shortlisted as Regional Law Firm of the Year in The British Legal Awards 2012. The judges were looking for excellence across the shortlisted firms – high levels of innovation, strong financial performance, excellent client care and a commitment to your employees and the local communities in which you operate. 2012 was the first time we entered a submission for these awards. To be the only firm in Warwickshire which was shortlisted in a year when submissions increased by 10 per cent is a fantastic achievement.
Looking to the future
In over 175 years, the firm has seen the legal profession alter beyond recognition. However, during that period, Wright Hassall has proved it can evolve and adapt; it is now looking forward to meeting the challenges of the rapidly changing legal services market.
Quantum Debt Recovery becomes QDR Solicitors Ltd as part of a change in relation to FCA regulation.
Named as the nation’s leading regional law firm at the legal industry’s prestigious national awards ceremony, the Lawyer Awards.