Steven Hayward – we could not fault him in any way. From the start he asked all the right questions to understand the case and communicated the best approach that was very amicable. The dispute was then handled in a very timely manner and that was only due to his prompt communication. He led the dispute throughout which was a huge relief to both the other party and ourselves. His extensive knowledge of construction law was very clear from the start to end which was reflected in the tone of the negotiation and outcome. I valued his commitment and ownership of the case and service to ourselves as a client.
Recent experience includes:
- Providing project advisory services to a main contractor in relation to the construction of a mosque, subsequently acting on the main contractor’s behalf in responding to true value adjudication proceedings and successfully obtaining a declaration that the adjudicator’s decision was unenforceable for lack of jurisdiction and that a notified sum was due to the main contractor – (AM Construction Limited v. The Darul Amaan Trust  EWHC 1478 (TCC)).
- Acting on behalf of a developer in defence of a true value adjudication relating to a significant residential development in West London, addressing numerous allegations of varied works and delay related loss and expense.
- Acting on a main contractor’s behalf in relation to the carrying out of network infrastructure works (upgrading of water main, sewers and installing monitoring equipment) across Thames Valley and North London regions, involving project advisory services and successfully responding to a specialist sub-contractor’s referral to adjudication.
- Acting on behalf of a specialist sub-contractor relating to matters of delay, compensation events and quantum entitlement relating to extensive works at a London hospital.
- Acting on behalf of an employer in defending a true value adjudication referral by its main contractor relating to a substantial basement and refurbishment works at a considerable property in North London.
- Acting for a main contractor on various matters relating to high-end residential projects in the Home Counties, including arbitration proceedings concerning extensions of time and final account issues.
- Acting for an institutional charity regarding termination of a main contractor’s appointment, providing project documentation and advising steps post-termination.
I deal in the main with Steven Hayward & any staff he brings onto the team. Steven is thorough with very good attention to the small details. He understands my business and how we work and tailors his responses accordingly. He provides a level of comfort and trust that I regard as necessary in my legal team.
After gaining his Law degree and Master of Laws at University of Essex, Steven qualified in 2009 with West London and Thames Valley firm, IBB Law. He became a Partner of IBB Law in 2020, before returning to Coventry and Warwickshire and joining Wright Hassall in 2023.
Society of Construction Law
Steven is a proud native of Coventry and Warwickshire and an enthusiast for its future success as an economic region.