Legal Articles

Lenders and service charges – the courts are getting tricky!

Home / Knowledge base / Lenders and service charges – the courts are getting tricky!

Posted by Mary Rouse on 31 January 2014

Mary Rouse - Property Litigation Lawyer
Mary Rouse Partner

Some time ago, we looked at threats of forfeiture and mortgagees’ obligations (or otherwise) to meet demands for costs where no judgment has been obtained (see our previous article). In this article, we examine what happens once you have paid ground rent and service charge arrears (and possibly costs) following a forfeiture threat.

The mortgage conditions usually permit a lender to make such payments to protect its security and to then add the cost to the mortgage balance. This is potentially misleading because the borrower may think that there is no obligation to repay this sum immediately. In fact, if your mortgage conditions permit, you can make a demand for reimbursement of the service charges you have paid out and, if the borrower does not pay up, you can bring proceedings for possession because failure to pay is a breach of the mortgage conditions.  

What you should not do is simply treat the service charges as mortgage arrears and include them in a standard mortgage possession claim. If there are mortgage arrears as well as service charges, you will need to set this out in your particulars of claim. You will need to evidence that you have made the appropriate demand for payment of the service charges (and any such demand should ideally be sent separately from any demand for payment of unpaid monthly instalments). If there are no mortgage arrears, and you are simply bringing proceedings because of unpaid service charges, the particulars of claim will be quite different. In both cases, you will need to show the court:

  • That your mortgage conditions permit you to make such a payment where your security is at risk;
  • That your security was threatened;
  • That you have made the payment; and
  • That you have made the appropriate demand for payment from the borrower

This rules out making such claims online through the PCOL (possession claims on-line) court system. You will have to make an old-fashioned paper application for possession.

Reports from a number of sources indicate that judges are starting to examine possession claims closely and, where the monies outstanding include service charges that have been paid to avoid forfeiture, judges are challenging lenders’ entitlement to a possession order.

The good news is that, provided you can satisfy the court on the points we have highlighted, and provided you get your application right, there is no reason why you should not get your order for possession.

About the author

Mary Rouse


Mary is an experienced property litigation lawyer.

Mary Rouse

Mary is an experienced property litigation lawyer.

Recent articles

29 October 2020 Wright Hassall lands royal recognition

A Midlands law firm has landed royal recognition for its support to the wider community throughout the Coronavirus pandemic.

Read article
29 October 2020 A new way of approaching biodiversity offsetting

A Warwick-based property development company is supporting a project aimed at boosting wild-life levels in Warwickshire.

Read article
28 October 2020 The new model shared ownership lease

Government plans to introduce a new form of shared ownership lease from April 2021 will apply to all schemes funded by the 2021-26 Affordable Homes Programme. The intention is that it will be more consumer friendly, easier to access and allow shared owners to increase the stake in their home in a more manageable and affordable way.

Read article
How can we help?
01926 732512