Legal Articles

Protect your compensation money and benefits with a personal injury trust

Home / Knowledge base / Protect your compensation money and benefits with a personal injury trust

Posted by Jennifer Russell on 23 May 2010

Jenny Russell - Family Wills Lawyer
Jennifer Russell Associate Solicitor

What is a personal injury (PI) trust?

At present, if you receive compensation for a personal injury, the amount will be taken into account if you are assessed for means-tested benefits such as income support, housing benefit, council tax benefit and job seekers allowance.  As a general rule, if you have over £6,000 (or £10,000 if you are a permanent resident in a care home) of compensation the level of income is reduced; and if you have over £16,000 you normally lose all entitlement to income support. 

One way of protecting both your compensation money and any benefit entitlements is to transfer the money into a personal injury trust, also known as a PI Trust. If you do this, you can receive both income and capital and the fund is not taken into consideration for the purpose of assessing you for benefits. 

How can a personal injury trust preserve my benefits? 

A personal injury trust can help to protect your money not only now but also in the future if you have to go into residential care at some point.  If you were to give your compensation money away (to your children for instance), the tax authorities would treat this ‘gift’ as a “deprivation of capital”. In other words, you are assumed to be giving away your assets for the sole purpose of becoming eligible for benefits. Consequently, for means-tested benefits you are still treated as owning those assets. However, a gift to a personal injury trust is not treated as an intentional deprivation of assets.

What about trustees? 

You normally need to have two people acting as trustees. Although it is possible for you to be one of them, it can be advisable to have two trustees, other than yourself, such as adult members of your family. A partner in our firm can also be one of the trustees. You will need to open a bank account for the trust into which the compensation monies can be paid. 

What about tax?

There are no particular income tax, capital gains tax or inheritance tax advantages of personal injury trusts and any income generated by, or capital released from, the fund would be taxed in the normal way. 

This article has been updated.  Take a look at the March 2014 article on Personal injury trusts.

About the author

Jennifer Russell

Associate Solicitor

Jenny is an associate solicitor in the wills, trusts and tax team.

Jennifer Russell

Jenny is an associate solicitor in the wills, trusts and tax team.

Recent articles

05 August 2020 Privilege: Protecting your business communications

Privilege can entitle a party involved in court proceedings to withhold a document from their opponent or to deny access to regulators and enforcement agencies.

Read article
30 July 2020 Rethinking the landlord / tenant relationship

We have been following the travails of the high street for over 12 months where changing shopping habits, business rates and rent increases have been contributing to a growing strain on many landlord / tenant relationships.

Read article
30 July 2020 Bankrupts fail in claim to have interests in land revested in them

The claim by Mr and Mrs Brake (Brake v Swift), heard in the High Court in May, to have a cottage and adjacent land revested in them under Section 283A of the Insolvency Act 1986, was set against a background of convoluted litigation extending over a number of years, described by Matthews HHJ as ‘complex’.

Read article
How can we help?
01926 732512