Matthew is a member of the Tax and Financial Services Litigation team dealing with disputes relating to investments, tax, tax avoidance schemes, pensions and HMRC enquiries and negotiations. Matthew acts for corporates, individuals, financial institutions and FCA regulated firms.
He advises on complex financial products that have been mis-sold or negligently implemented, resulting in significant demands from HMRC. Matthew also specialises in claims against advisors who have provided negligent advice. Having previously advised on a wide range of contractual disputes, Matthew has a depth of knowledge in relation to most financial products and tax schemes.
Matthew was a Finalist for Birmingham Young Professional of the Year 2017.
- Acted for a number of individuals and companies in relation to SDLT (Stamp Duty Land Tax) tax planning schemes; negotiating with HMRC and successfully resolving professional negligence claims.
- Successfully acted for a company in mis-sold EBT / EFRB (Employee Benefit Trust / Employer Financed Retirement Benefit Scheme) tax planning schemes resulting in multi-million pound claim
- Acted for a company in relation to a complex VAT dispute / COP 9 investigation
- Acted on a number of Business Rates disputes (acted for both Charities and companies)
- Acted for a company in mis-sold GSOP (Growth Securities Ownership Plan) tax scheme resulting in a several hundred thousand pound demand from HMRC
- Represented clients before the First Tier Tax Tribunal
- Acted for an individual following negligent advice relating to pension investment
- Acted for an investor in negligence claim against professional for failure to claim appropriate tax reliefs
- Acted in a multi-million pound contract dispute for an advanced manufacturing client
- Acted for individuals in relation to Interest Rate Hedging claims.
- Assisted in advising a FTSE 100 Company on a complex breach of contract claim.
- Edge Tools & Equipment Ltd v Greatstar Europe Ltd  EWHC 170 (QB)
- Warwickshire Oil Storage Limited v. WWOSLTD – a domain name dispute before the WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center which successfully resulted in a decision to transfer the domain name to our client (WIPO, Case No. D2016-1482)
Matthew read Law with Politics at the University of Manchester, and obtained a distinction in his Legal Practice Course at BPP Law School in Manchester. Matthew trained at WH and joined the commercial litigation team in 2014.
Matthew is currently a member and the Chair of the Membership Committee for BPS Birmingham Future.
Matthew enjoys golf and cycling. Matthew has taken part in several long distance charity bike rides including a 180 mile ride from London to Cardiff.