Matthew deals with a variety of commercial litigation & intellectual property disputes.
Matthew has represented claimants in relation to professional negligence claims against solicitors, accountants, IFA’s, valuers and other professional service providers.
Matthew also advises on breaches of commercial contracts, including breach of warranty and disputes regarding interpretation/incorporation of terms and conditions, sale of goods and supply of goods and services claims. Matthew advises on intellectual property law. Matthew advises in relation to disputes over the ownership or misuse of intellectual property rights.
Matthew is a Finalist for Birmingham Young Professional of the Year 2017.
- Acted in a multi-million pound contract dispute for an advanced manufacturing client.
- Acted for a limited company in an international agency dispute.
- Acted for individuals in relation to Interest Rate Hedging claims.
- Assisted in advising a FTSE 100 Company on a complex breach of contract claim.
- Advised on claims against solicitors. I have acted for high street lenders, limited companies and individuals on solicitor negligence claims.
- Advised on negligent residential and commercial valuations. On various matters I have acted alongside Real Estate colleagues to resolve ransom strips, easement issues and other matters affecting value.
- Acted on complex financial advisor and accountant negligence claims. I have advised on negligent tax advice, financial advice and annual returns. I have acted on claims involving negligent advice on (amongst others) Film Fund Schemes, SDLT schemes, Employee Benefit Trusts (EBT) and Employer Financed Retirement Benefit Schemes (EFRB or EFRBS).
- Advised a multinational advanced manufacturing client on numerous trade mark and passing off disputes.
- Advised a client on a claim for breach of contract, including obligations of confidentiality and various intellectual property infringements. Successfully negotiated an agreement avoiding the need to issue a claim and incur significant cost.
- Acted for a limited company wishing to restrain an individual from using similar branding for their goods / services. Assisted in resolving this potential passing off / trademark infringement action.
- Acted on numerous Trade Mark Renewals and Trade Mark Applications in a range of different Use Classes.
- Warwickshire Oil Storage Limited v. WWOSLTD – a domain name dispute before the WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center which successfully resulted in a decision to transfer the domain name to our client (WIPO, Case No. D2016-1482)
Matthew read Law with Politics at the University of Manchester, and obtained a distinction in his Legal Practice Course at BPP Law School in Manchester. Matthew trained at WH and joined the commercial litigation team in 2014.
Matthew is currently a member and the Chair of the Membership Committee for BPS Birmingham Future.
Matthew enjoys golf and cycling. Matthew has taken part in several long distance charity bike rides including a 180 mile ride from London to Cardiff.