Rhys specialises in the protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights and technology disputes. He also has extensive experience in dealing with commercial contract disputes particularly those involving intellectual property rights.
Rhys has particular experience of copyright disputes in the entertainment, digital and creative industries, particularly computer software and photography.
Rhys also has significant experience in the protection and enforcement of product designs (registered designs and unregistered design rights); branding and trade marks; copyright in software, training materials, photographs and music; inventions and patents and confidential information and trade secrets
Rhys has advised on technology disputes including disputes over the ownership of software; disputes between website designers and their customers; disputes over sponsored link schemes such as Google AdWords and domain name disputes.
Rhys regularly writes articles, and delivers presentations and training seminars on topical Intellectual Property issues.
- Successful conclusion of High Court proceedings in respect of an allegation of copyright infringement in computer games software.
- Advising a gaming company in relation to alleged breach of confidence by a former employee.
- Successfully defended Patents County Court proceedings in respect of patented technology used in double glazing.
- Advising on a patent dispute relating to a household product.
- Advising on alleged patent infringement and copyright infringement relating to audio-watermarking of sound recordings.
- Advising an inventor in relation to a contractual dispute under a patent licence relating to the inventor’s entitlement to license fees.
- Acting in several IPEC proceedings relating to the infringement of copyright in photographs.
- Acting in an international arbitration relating to an allegation of trade mark infringement and breach of contract.
- Acting in trade mark opposition proceedings for clients ranging from software application developers to a snack distributor.
- Resolution of a dispute between songwriters and performers of a song which had been used without permission in a film globally released in cinemas, by way of a payment of a substantial royalty to our clients.
- Successful conclusion of IPEC proceedings relating to the alleged infringement of a registered design.
- Advising on numerous unregistered design right claims for major lighting manufacturer and retailers.
Rhys gained his law degree from Southampton University and subsequently trained with DLA. He has a Postgraduate Diploma in Intellectual Property Law and Practice from Bristol University. He became a partner at Wright Hassall in 2003.
Playing and watching most sports, particularly football (as a life long fan of Ipswich Town FC), golf and travel.