People are a major asset within any business and, like any asset, they need to be supported and managed effectively and efficiently. Our employment law solicitors work with employers across a variety of industry sectors, including both the public and private sector, registered providers and charities, advising on all types of employment law matters.
Our employment law solicitors are supported by specialist employment tax, HR management and information governance expertise to provide employers with a comprehensive employment-related service, whatever the size of workforce.
Our employment law solicitors and HR consultants advise on:
- employment contracts
- employment policies and handbooks
- executive appointments and severances
- employee benefits and incentives
- employment tribunals and disputes
- remuneration issues including bonus payments
- settlement agreements
- TUPE transfers
- unfair dismissal
- discrimination and equal pay
- redundancy and restructuring
- severance and settlement agreements
- HR consultancy
- Data protection and information governance
A different approach
As employment law solicitors, we believe our approach is different. Our clients tell us that our practical advice not only ensures that they manage their employees in a legally compliant manner but it is also in tune with the way they need to do business. Timely, commercial and pragmatic advice along with pro-active account management and transparent, flexible billing arrangements are all aspects of a first-class service which we aim to deliver over and above expert legal advice. We set great store by our approach to building long-lasting relationships with our clients and much of this is achieved by added-value elements such as training and regular updates.
Ian Besant conducts his own advocacy before both the Employment Tribunal and the Employment Appeal Tribunal, nationally as well as regionally. He has defended a wide range of cases on behalf of both corporates and senior directors involving, among other issues, whistleblowing, unfair dismissal, discrimination on the grounds of religious belief, age, race, sex and disability as well as TUPE dismissals. Recent cases have included:
- Successfully defended a whistleblowing claim brought against our client by an employee alleging financial irregularity.
- Successfully defended a client facing an unfair dismissal claim from one of its employees who, having been made redundant, contended that there was not a true redundancy situation and that it was procedurally unfair.
- Successfully defended a disability discrimination, unfair dismissal and breach of contract claim made by an employee who was injured at work. This involved a six day hearing with eight witnesses. The case went to appeal which we, again, successfully defended.
Suki Harrar specialises in TUPE work, supporting the TUPE aspects of the transactional work undertaken by the commercial, corporate and social housing teams. She has advised both purchasers and vendors in company acquisitions, sales and outsourcing transactions and is particularly experienced in advising Registered Providers on the TUPE implications of LSVTs. Recent experience includes:
- Advising a financial services company on TUPE-related matters relating to the provision of outsourced services including advice on amending and negotiating the services agreement.
- Advising a large corporate on a complex claim, which includes TUPE-related issues, brought by senior personnel relating to a company acquisition.
- Advising a client in an EU Procurement situation regarding issues in relation to the staff potentially transferring from one contractor to another;
- Advising on the harmonisation of contracts following TUPE, including full consultation, notification, and negotiation of changes to employment contracts which involved both unionised and non-unionised members of staff.
We have a HR consultancy team which advises and supports clients, from start-ups to established businesses on a regular or ad hoc basis, advising on a range of HR matters from policies and procedures to managing redundancy programmes and TUPE-related due diligence. Our HR consultants frequently act as an extension to clients’ own management and/or human resource team, providing practical, commercial support on all human resource issues.
Manufacturers such as the London Taxi Company have to think about how to protect the confidential information that their employees are privy to. How do they make sure that their motors are protected?Read more
In recognition of the millions of workers not earning enough to support a normal standard of living, in his budget of July 2015 Chancellor George Osborne announced a new ‘National Living Wage’ for all workers in the UK over the age of 25.Read more
In this article we look at the recent Supreme Court decision in the long-running case of Lock v British Gas Trading in which it has been held that a worker’s statutory holiday pay should be calculated taking into account any results-based commission.Read more