Susan deals with professional negligence claims against valuers, surveyors, solicitors, brokers and accountants, fraud issues and recoveries for lenders.
She also advises on contract claims, including service agreements and restrictive covenants, insurance policies and issues relating to guarantees, warranties and breach of confidence. She regularly uses mediation and has also advised in relation to referrals to the Financial Ombudsman.
Susan successfully defended the £10m claim brought by Affinity against its ex advisers, which was dropped part way through trial in November 2016.
Susan is experienced commercial litigator and has advised on a variety of commercial disputes including:
- Restrictive covenant issues.
- Claims for breach of director's duties.
- Dealing with breach of contract claims generally.
- Advising on product development disputes.
- Advising on recovery of losses in the agricultural sector including relating to supply of defective feed and storage of grain.
- Disputes following dissolutions of partnerships
Susan has advised lenders and financial services organisations on a variety of commercial litigation matters including:
- Acted in significant recoveries from several sources for national lenders following mortgage frauds uncovered across multiple accounts.
- Dealing with Land Registry indemnities and/or rectification alongside professional negligence claims.
- Recent recoveries against valuers and solicitors on lender shortfalls.
Susan worked for over 10 years specialising in insurance litigation for a leading London firm, based in the Lloyd’s Building in the early years of her career and also taking in a secondment to a major international insurance broker. She therefore has an intimate knowledge of the workings of the London insurance market.
Experience includes advising on:
- Recovered monies in respect of business interruption losses for a charity.
- Over ten years in the insurance and reinsurance department of top city firm CMS Cameron McKenna dealing with high value disputes and several reported cases: Aneco v J&H; Curzon v EIR; DAR v Aon; Groupama v OP Re.
- Advised a company faced with a £10m uninsured liability in relation to extent of possible recoveries from other insureds and co-defendants
- Recovered £800k of life insurance proceeds following attempted avoidance by insurers.
- Claims against negligent insurance brokers.
Susan's experience of advising on professional negligence claims includes:
- Various solicitors claims for issues including negligent lease drafting and missed limitation.
- Recovered damages for a developer where an overage agreement had been drafted very badly by its solicitor. We needed to solve the dispute with the party from whom the client purchased the development land over how much was due to the third party following grant of planning permission - and then recover damages from the negligent solicitors. Loss was assessed at over £2m.
- Obtained damages and costs from a negligent IFA following an inadequate Ombudsman award. Our client had been advised so badly in relation to a mortgage product by his IFA that he found himself on the brink of bankruptcy.
- Recovered damages following negligent accountancy advice and/or misappropriation of company funds.
- Recovered significant damages for an individual who had been negligently advised on the value of the main property in a divorce settlement.
- Mediation used regularly to obtain settlements before proceedings need to be issued.
After graduating with a 2:1 from Queens' College, Cambridge, and gaining honours in her Law Society Finals Examination, Susan qualified as a solicitor with Cameron Markby Hewitt in London. She then spent over 10 years working at CMS Cameron McKenna in London.
Before her family Susan was a rally co-driver (BTRDA 2002 1400 Champion) and hopes one day to return to that. She currently enjoys playing tennis and the occasional charity run.