Buying, selling and managing care home property
The team has a proven track record acting for clients with significant and varying property requirements, operating under different but strict regulatory regimes. The team has significant experience of dealing with acquisitions of care homes.
We work closely with our corporate and commercial teams, particularly in relation to asset and share purchases when there is a co-ordinated approach drawing together all relevant specialisations.
Our real estate team has a wealth of experience of dealing with all aspects of portfolio management, including lease acquisitions, disposals and renewals, lease management documents including licences for alterations, break options, dilapidations, service charge disputes, breach of covenant, rent arrears recovery and rent reviews. We also regularly advise in relation to freehold ownership issues such as, boundary disputes, easements, restrictive covenants, nuisance and trespass claims. In addition we have a specialist unit which deals with social housing management and residential landlord and tenant disputes.
Our relevant experience includes:
- Advising on a PFI build for a care home for the largest provider of social housing in the Horsham Area.
- Advising on "extra care" options in terms of new build flats and bungalows offered by providers on a shared ownership and outright sale basis for those aged over 55 years and
- Acting on the acquisition of care homes by asset and share purchases including title investigations, contract negotiations and regulatory due diligence checks
- Advising on tenant issues as well as employee accommodation issues
- Advising on all aspects of lease renewal, from the service of a Section 26 request or receipt of a Section 25 Notice, through to final determination by the court or Arbitrator, if necessary. We have recently had some great successes for this client by using the PACT process. We have also managed a large number of lease renewals which have gone to Court, and instructed experts where rent or other terms could not be agreed by negotiation. We work with our clients to understand the strategic importance of each of the properties in their portfolio and work closely with the client to achieve their commercial aims on renewal or vacation.