Our specialist private wealth lawyers advise clients on how to best protect their assets, ensuring that the wealth that they have generated through their lifetime is protected for the future, whatever their circumstances.
With a track record of advising land and property owners, business owners and entrepreneurs, the team understands the complexity of personal tax planning and advise on the most tax efficient structures for protecting and passing on your wealth.
Our Private Wealth team advises on:
- Estate planning, including wills, trusts and personal tax advice
- Passing assets to individuals tax efficiently
- Income Tax, Capital Gains Tax and Inheritance Tax planning
- Charitable trusts and philanthropy
- Family investment companies
- Will and inheritance tax disputes
- Succession planning for businesses
- Residential property portfolios including investment property
- Strategic land development for landowners
- Complex landed estate issues
- Pre-nuptial and post-nuptial agreements
- Reputation management
The team regularly advises:
Every business owner needs to ensure that the decisions that they take in respect of their business wealth does not impact negatively on their personal wealth, and vice versa. Neither can be viewed in isolation and it is important to work with professional advisers that understand a business and personal context.
Our Private Wealth team works regularly with business owners and their advisers to ensure that their corporate structures are protecting their wealth in the most tax efficient way. This includes helping business owners to:
- Review business structures to maximise tax reliefs such as business property relief
- Preserve wealth and ensure it is passed on effectively and securely through wills and trusts
- Set up tax efficient wills that protect your business wealth whilst ensuring that the business can be effectively managed
- Advise on succession planning options in order to protect the business for the future
- Set up Powers of Attorney to ensure that your business can continue to operate should you become incapacitated for any reason
- Support on exit planning strategies and ensure that any future exit is managed in the most tax efficient manner
- Set up charitable trusts which provide a tax efficient legacy
- Consider pre and post nuptial agreements to protect your business wealth
- Use Small Self Administered Pension Schemes (SSAS) to invest in commercial property and/ or to lease premises back to the business in a tax efficient manner
We understand that our professional clients expect the same level of service when dealing with personal legal matters as they do in their corporate life. Our Private Wealth team are experienced in advising professionals on all aspects of their personal legal issues including:
- Setting up wills which protect the assets which you have generated through your professional career, maximising available reliefs including the Inheritance Tax Residence Nil Rate Band.
- Using discretionary trusts to protect your lump sum pension death benefits
- Set up Powers of Attorney to ensure that your financial, health and welfare matters can be managed on your behalf should you become incapacitated
- Consider pre and post nuptial agreements
We regularly work with land owners and have particular expertise in advising on strategic land development projects. We have undertaken some key traditional development on numerous schemes and over the last three we have placed in excess of 4,000 acres of strategic land under contract. This has included a large number of significant residential development schemes (including new settlements) from as far north as Tamworth and as far south as Banbury and working alongside most of the national land agency practices and volume housebuilders and their professional advisers.
The Private Wealth Team ensures that any land sale is structured in the most tax efficient manner from the outset.
Our Private Wealth team works alongside our agricultural law specialists who regularly advise landowners on regulatory matters ranging from the single farm payment scheme, RPA and compliance, the rural development programme, intervention and private storage aid schemes alongside their liabilities under the Animals Act, live stock issues including milk quotas, cattle passports and animal identification
We regularly work with residential landlords on all aspects of their portfolio whether it is in relation to the acquisition or disposal of residential property portfolios or the ongoing portfolio management issues of dealing with tenants.
Rural property owners
With an agricultural heritage spanning 170 years, we are one of the long-established agricultural law firms and advises rural property owners on:
- Drafting of farm partnerships and business structures so as to ensure that the business is being dealt with in the most efficient way by recording the intention of the parties
- Maximising tax reliefs such as agricultural property relief
- Sale or purchase of rural property including dealing with any queries which are raised by the purchaser which requires often requires specialist knowledge in respect of rights of way, easements and the transfer or retention of any entitlement to subsidies
- Diversification of rural property assets including the set-up of rural businesses such as equestrian facilities, retail and leisure operations (farm shops, country parks, glamping, wedding businesses, etc)
Managing an estate is a complex and increasingly challenging commercial operation. We regularly work with families and estates team on all aspects of managing landed estates including:
- Tax and succession planning
- Business ownership structures for families
- Strategic land development
- Mineral and sporting rights
- Events and public access
- Charitable legacies including Family Investment Companies
Business property relief (BPR) is a relief from inheritance tax (IHT) at either 50% or 100% on trading business interests or assets owned by the person claiming the relief.Read more
Trusts are tax efficient and afford flexibility to a person who wishes to pass assets to certain people during their lifetime or upon their death.Read more
Setting up a family investment company (FIC) enables the founder to pass assets out of their estate for inheritance tax (IHT) purposes while retaining some control over them.Read more