"Wright Hassall offer excellent overall performance. They listen to their clients' needs and respond accordingly. They are highly commercial and accurate in everything they do."
- Worked on secondment for 18 months at an international telecommunications service provider, helping draft and negotiate the contractual terms governing the exit and renegotiation of a major public sector outsourcing contract.
- Reviewed and advised on major outsourcing contracts for a leading IT service provider.
- Reviewed and advised on various international distribution agreements for a distributor of ocular products in the UK.
- Advised an R&D company on the important issues to consider when seeking to commercially exploit a new invention or concept.
- Negotiated and advised an equine sport association on an affiliation agreement to use with all its national event organisers when organising future equestrian dressage events.
- Drafted, negotiated and advised on an agile app development agreement for a local software developer whose end customer was Ann Summers, including advising on how to deal with the ownership and licensing of intellectual property within the app.
- Advised a premiership rugby club in relation to the outsourcing of catering services at its premises and assisted with the drafting and negotiation of the terms of the agreement between the club and the new catering provider.
- Drafted an agreement for an international event organiser to use which sets out the terms under which corporate entities can sponsor its events.
- Advised a local conference and wedding venue on its terms and conditions for hiring its premises and for the provision of training programmes and services, by the venue, to individuals attending corporate events there.
- Worked with a regional swimming lessons provider to produce a bespoke set of online consumer terms and conditions which they could use when contracting to provide swimming lessons to individuals, as well as advising them of the various requirements of UK consumer legislation.
- delivering training to a premiership rugby club on how to carry out B2B and B2C marketing in a GDPR-compliant way;
- drafting internal data protection policies and procedures for a company in the oil and gas sector;
- carrying out a full data protection analysis audit and gap report for a business in the needle manufacturing industry;
- advising a children’s book publishers on the process for carrying out a data protection impact assessment in respect of software and technology used by the business to store customer data;
- advising a local retail company on the ways in which the GDPR prohibited its ability to share data with other organisations outside the EEA and proposing practical solutions whereby they could share data abroad and comply with all applicable legislation.
- conducting a full data protection impact assessment for a city council in connection with all its suppliers and reviewing and analysing such supplier submissions in the context of the DPIA; and
- negotiating data processing agreements and contract variations, both for customers and suppliers.
"Taking on data protection was a daunting task. But through the training, coaching and mentoring from the team I have found a passion for privacy and data protection."
Patrick achieved a 2:1 in Law at the University of Birmingham before completing the Legal Practice Course with a distinction. He has worked at Wright Hassall since 2012, first as a paralegal and then as a trainee solicitor, gaining over three years of experience in the commercial team in the process.
Patrick is on the Committee of the Warwickshire Junior Lawyers Division and has helped establish a Mentoring Scheme between law students at Coventry University and junior lawyers from the Warwickshire region.
Patrick is a keen sports enthusiast who enjoys running and playing five a side football on a regular basis as well as following the travails of his beloved Yorkshire County Cricket Club whenever the weather permits.
He is also a keen traveller and reader, attending Leamington’s Feminist Book Club on a monthly basis.