It is our people, and the way that we service our clients, that set us apart.
We realise that our people are our most valuable asset and we understand that providing them with a great environment, challenging work and supported personal development is vital to our success ...
Wright Hassall is currently recruiting for Trainee Solicitors to join the firm in September 2022. We are a growing and ambitious firm, recently recognised as Regional Law firm of the year.
Wright Hassall has a legacy spanning 170 years and the firm has grown to be the largest independent law firm in the Midlands. Not only are we accredited by Investors in People and Lexcel, we are proud winners of Employer of the Year at the 2018 Leamington Business Awards, an award which recognises our efforts in going above and beyond to offer a great working environment for our employees.
Working at our firm brings the chance to work with clients from a variety of exciting industries, ranging in size from smaller independents to large household names. Our diverse client base means we offer our teams exciting opportunities to handle interesting and sometimes complex matters.
Whether you have a law degree or not, you can have a future in the law. Many great lawyers didn't start their academic life in the law; sometimes great lawyers come to us from other professions, deciding to retrain later in life; other times law students join us who have known that they have wanted a career in the law for many years.
Whichever route you take, the decision on which firm to complete your training contract is an important one. You need to consider whether there are niche areas of law you would like to practice, the types of clients that you would like to work for, where you would like to be based and whether you are keen to be part of a large or small intake of trainees.
Each year Wright Hassall limits the number of trainees we recruit, offering places to those of the very highest calibre. This enables us to be in a better position to offer permanent employment after completion of the training period, and also means that our trainees have the opportunity to get involved with lawyers of all levels of experience during their training contract.
What we are looking for
We recruit on the basis of this being a long term commitment during which you will be given every opportunity to excel, with a vision that you may one day be a partner at the firm.
We look for:
- Penultimate and final year law students, final year non law students and graduates, or those considering a change of career
- Ideally a minimum 2:1 degree. Although we look for high academic achievement and ability, we will not automatically discount your application if certain grades have not been achieved. Use the application form to make yourself stand out
- Experience gained on legal vacation placement or work experience schemes
- Enthusiastic, proactive and commercially minded people
- Self-starters and team players.
More information about the role of a Trainee Solicitor at Wright Hassall can be found in the attached job description at the bottom of the page.
What we offer
Our training contracts are a partnership between the trainee and the firm. We expect hard work, commitment, drive and a hunger to learn and develop into an effective solicitor. We will support you during your training but also expect you to take responsibility for your own learning and for developing additional skills.
In return for your hard work and commitment we offer:
- Six month 'seats' in four different practice areas - before starting your training contract you will be asked for your seat preferences, which we will do our best to accommodate in line with the needs of the business; you should have a mix of contentious and non-contentious seats.
- Access to commercial and private client seats
- A supervisor for each seat that can provide coaching, guidance and support
- A performance review at the end of each seat
- Your own files to manage and the opportunity to meet clients
- Salary which is on par with our immediate competitors:
- LPC funding capped at £11,000 and a maintenance grant of £1,750 paid at the start of the LPC to support your studies
- 22 days holiday per year (plus bank holidays)
- Pension scheme
- Excellent training and development
- A healthcare scheme
- A subsidised gym membership
- Active social committee who organise drinks after pay day, the winter and summer parties, and various events throughout the year.
We are now accepting applications for training contracts to start in September 2022. To apply for a training contract please complete the application form via our online job portal here.
The timetable for the recruitment process is outlined below.
Midnight on Monday 25th May 2020
Closing date for applications
W/C 1st June 2020
First stage Shortlisting
Thursday 9 July 2020 or Tuesday 14th July 2020
Attend Assessment Centre - Including research tasks, group exercise and a brief interview
W/C 20th July 2020
Final stage shortlisting
Tuesday 4th August 2020 or Wednesday 5th August 2020
Final stage interview & presentation
Wright Hassall values the differences and advantages that a diverse workforce brings to the firm, and is committed to ensuring that all applicants are valued as individuals and treated with respect and fairness.
The training contract application process for September 2022 is now closed.
Information regarding the next training contract recruitment programme will be available in early 2021 and we look forward to hearing from you then.