Keith is a Partner in our banking & finance team and specialises in corporate finance and finance law. His exceptionally wide range of experience encompasses:
- bank and asset finance
- property and development finance
- private equity
- capital markets and asset-backed securitisations
- corporate recovery and restructuring
- treasury products and derivatives
- housing finance
- sports law
- competition and merger law
- regulation, governance, and group structures
- charity law
Keith Ainsworth is imaginative and practical in resolving situations and providing solutions to problems.
Keith’s particularly notable experience includes:
- Advising Indian listed group on acquisition from UK fully listed group, including advising on the impact of the listing rules and revising prospectus for Luxembourg-listed Eurobonds, resolving insolvency issues surrounding the London Underground development company.
- Advising many sporting bodies on governance and constitutional issues.
- Carrying out cross-border transactions in the USA, Canada, Australia and throughout the EU;
- Advising on major social housing group financings (ranging from syndicated bank loans to private and public bond issues)
- Providing competition and merger law advice to clients in the logistics, gaming, publishing, construction and mortgage-lending industries.
- Leading on Eurobond issues in London, Luxembourg, the Netherlands and other markets, and advising on bond restructurings.
- Major project financings in the semi-public sectors, including retail, office and warehouse developments, university property matters and healthcare ventures.
- Advising an agricultural charity on a Charity Commission investigation
- Advising a school foundation on an application for consent to the site amalgamation and construction involving permanent endowment land.
- Advising various clients in relation to incorporation structures including companies, registered societies, charities (both incorporated and unincorporated), charitable incorporated organisations, social enterprises and community interest companies.
Keith began his career in finance at 3i Group, where he developed a particular specialism in leading teams on ‘big-ticket’ multi-funder transactions, major insolvency restructurings and listed company dealings. In 1991 he joined national firm Edge Ellison, based mainly in its City office, becoming a partner and then national Head of Banking Law and Insolvency. He gained a national reputation for structuring and documenting innovative financial products, leading major corporate restructurings and restructuring several large Eurobond issues. Keith also performed the role of lead European counsel for a major US bank, managing financings throughout Europe and advising on ‘back office’ regulatory matters.
Prior to joining Wright Hassall Keith was a main board director of a major finance group with executive responsibility for closing substantial financings, a Eurobond issue programme of £1.2 billion per annum and bank loan facilities in excess of £1.5 billion, whilst remaining as finance law consultant with what is now Squire, Patton Boggs).
Following the sale of the group, Keith joined Wright Hassall, where he has undertaken significant funding work for lenders and borrowers, major fundings in the social housing sector, and bond issues (listed and private placings), and has developed his interests in competition and merger regulation, and sports law.