Laura specialises in commercial disputes resolution, sports regulatory matters and agricultural and equestrian disputes. She carries out advocacy including interim applications (such as summary judgment, setting aside default judgment, strike out, and case management conferences), and a variety of trials.
Laura advises on commercial contract disputes, including disputes arising from the sale of goods, supply of goods and services, interpretation and incorporation of terms and conditions, indemnity claims and insurance disputes. Laura also advises on various business partnership disputes and company disputes including claims against directors for breach of fiduciary duties, /duty of fidelity and advises on professional negligence claims.
She advises sports national governing bodies (NGBs) in respect of disciplinary and regulatory procedures (including appeal procedure and possible challenges by judicial review), disciplinary disputes and sports tribunal work including appeals to Sports Resolution and the Court of Arbitration for Sport. Laura also advises on agricultural matters including contract disputes between farmers and all types of equestrian matters including disputes arising out of the purchase, sale and keep of horses and ponies, including breach of contract and misrepresentation, and veterinary negligence.
Laura did a wonderful and thorough job, always available to advise and always able to calm my concerns. I honestly believe I couldn’t have been in any better hands, she is a jewel in your company.
- Advised on and successfully concluded and high value partnership dispute regarding a dairy farm.
- Advises on claims arising out of defective agricultural machinery/equipment
- Advised a local Breed Society in respect of a claim for breach of contract and agency arising out of an auction sale and purchase.
- Advises generally on farming disputes including agricultural contractor agreements.
- Advised on and successfully concluded a number of contract disputes including breach of contract, interpretation and incorporation of terms and conditions.
- Continues to advise a large, independent financial services network in in relation to breach of contract and indemnity claims.
- Acted for an international company in a claim against its former CEO/Finance Director for alleged breach of fiduciary duty and fraud.
- Assisted the lead consultant acting on behalf of an international engineering specialist in relation to a multi-million pound shareholder dispute.
- Assisted the lead Partner in a claim brought by a large property developer against its solicitors for the negligent drafting of a sale and purchase agreement.
- Continues to act for a variety of clients in professional negligence claims against solicitors
- Reported case: PHI Group v Robert West Consulting Ltd  EWCA Civ588
- Reported case: Daventry District Council v Daventry & District Housing (2010)
- Reported case: Wright Hassall LLP v Morris (Civil) 15 11 12  EWCA Civ 1472
- Successfully defended a claim brought against an equestrian show organiser for losses arising out of thefts occurring during the course of the show. The court confirmed the law does not impose a duty of care on a show organiser to protect against theft of property belonging to others.
- Successfully acted on behalf of the owner of an International Grand Prix dressage horse in respect of veterinary negligence.
- Laura was appointed to the Sports Advocacy Section of the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Pro Bono Legal Advice and Representation Service and was the instructing solicitor on behalf of Mr Paul Hart in the first case to be brought before the ad hoc Court of Arbitration for Sport: Alex Peternell v South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee and the South African Equestrian Federation, and Mr Paul Hart (Third Party). This case involved a selection dispute over the event rider selected to compete for South Africa in their single place in the eventing discipline at the 2012 Olympics.
- Assisted the lead partner in successfully defending an NGB in an appeal by a high profile athlete against the selection decision for a major international competition. The case involved careful analysis of the selection policy for international competitions and the Olympics. The selectors’ decision was vindicated.
- Assisted the lead partner in the case of British Equestrian Federation and British Showjumping in an appeal to the FEI Tribunal and CAS relating to the decision of the FEI to relegate the Great Britain Show Jumping Team from the top league of the Nations Cup. The appeal was successful, Team GB were reinstated into the 2010 Top Level Meydan Nations Cup and came 3rd overall in the 2010 Series.
- Reported case: Arbitration CAS 2010/A/2058 British Equestrian Federation (BEF) v. Fédération Equestre Internationale (FEI), award of 13 July 2010
- Reported case: CAS 2012/A/2845 Alexander Peternell v. South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC) & South African Equestrian Federation (SAEF)
Laura graduated from Birmingham University with an LLB Honours Degree and completed the Legal Practice Course at Birmingham College of Law. Laura qualified as a solicitor in April 2008 and qualified to be a Solicitor Advocate with Higher Rights of Audience in 2010.
- British Association of Sports Lawyers (BASL)
Laura enjoys horse riding, working with horses at weekends, Latin American and ballroom dancing, and scuba diving.