Paul advises farmers, rural business owners, equestrian property owners and landowners whether it is buying or selling a farm or leasing it in or out. He also advises on all aspects of domestic and European legislation as it impacts on farming and rural businesses.
Paul lectures widely on the subject of SPS and other agriculturally-related topics. He advises on the detailed workings of the SPS and ELS and their relationship with routine farming practices. With his background as an advocate he can represent, on an individual basis, those members of the rural community who do happen to find themselves at odds with the authorities, whether it be an appeal against an RPA decision or responding to a summons issued by the Environment Agency.
- Renegotiated a succession tenancy for a 5th generation tenanted farm. The current tenants have invested heavily in a sheep cheese manufacturing facility. The renegotiation ensured that the new tenancy reflected the succession rights and the diversified nature of the tenant’s business.
- Advised on a stage 2 RPA appeal in respect of an incorrect SBI number entered in error with form RLE1 dealing with the transfer of entitlements.
- Successfully conducted a Stage 2 appeal with the RPA and persuaded the RPA to reverse a decision to recover £65,000 paid to a farmer after an error by the RPA.
- Argued successfully for the reduction of a penalty imposed by the RPA for a cross-compliance breach (SMR1) from £60,000 to £30,000.
- Represented a defendant in the criminal courts in respect of allegations concerning a fraudulent SPS claim form.
- Managed the acquisition of a 700-unit dairy enterprise as a going-concern.
- Dealt with the purchase of a farm of just over 100 acres, including the purchase of single payment scheme entitlements, securing a mortgage on additional property, and considering the impact of various geographical features including a river, a canal, a motorway and a railway.
- Handled the sale of a 250 acre farm in various lots, with single payment scheme entitlements, woodland, tenants, storage facilities and an overage clawback.