Barry has extensive experience of the commercial property sector, acting for clients from private landowners to major commercial and residential developers and public authorities including district and county councils, universities and NHS trusts.
Barry advises on acquisitions, disposals, leases, site assembly, funding, realisation, redevelopment and regeneration – especially through joint ventures – and related planning, CPO and infrastructure matters.
He is also a leading adviser to the science and technology park sector, a long-standing business affiliate of the UK Science Park Association and contributing author to their “Guide to the Planning Development and Operation of Science Parks”, and is working with his long-standing clients, University of Warwick Science Park, and colleagues at Wright Hassall to develop more effective, technology-driven legal services for property clients.
"Sources say that he "provides great professional support - he's very approachable, very friendly and has a very good demeanour."
- Advised universities on the development and ongoing management of science and technology park sites, on schemes from 40,000 to 400,000 square feet of developed high-tech space.
- Provide day-to-day property management support to portfolio –owning clients, via paralegal teams, dealing at peak with 250+ leasehold lettings per annum for science park sector clients, with fast turn-round of tenant-friendly lease packs – the current record being significantly less than 24 hours from Heads of Terms to the tenant collecting the keys and a fully documented, contracted-out lease in place.
- Secured, by negotiation with a light rail / tram promoter, significant variations to release service and provide dedicated parking for an adjoining retail site, and future access to a potential 300 unit plus residential development.
- Secured property rights and access over third party property by negotiation, on behalf of a light rail operator to secure routes for future line extensions.
- Advised a major high street retailer on the reconstruction of title to a number of significant sites in its mid-market property portfolio – total value around £350m – to support immediate and future re-financing and potential sale-and-leasebacks on advantageous terms.
"Barry Sankey is a widely experienced commercial property lawyer and is an expert on science and technology parks."
After gaining his law degree at St John’s College Oxford, Coventry-born Barry qualified in 1983 with Birmingham firm, Martineau Johnson and became a partner in 1990. He then moved, via Browne Jacobson, to Shoosmiths’ Nottingham office in 2001 and onwards to Flint Bishop (also in Nottingham) from 2005, before returning to his Warwickshire roots to join Wright Hassall in 2008.
- Forum for the Built Environment (Fbe)
- Business affiliate member of UK Science Park Association
- Renewable Energy Technology Association (RETA)
Barry is a licensed radio amateur (G7RWY) with a particular interest in space technology and satellites, and also has a keen interest in photography and Egyptology.